Thursday, February 5, 2009

Always playing catch up...



So, with a smile this adorable... is it any surprise that I don't get much done these days? As a couple of my coworkers reminded me on Facebook last night... I've been a bit behind on the blog lately. There are a couple reasons - first & foremost, I've started back to work in the NICU. Although, those of you who know me well, know that I work as little as possible these days. Randy has stepped into the role of Super Dad & is doing a fabulous job. Not only does he get Lucy ready, do her meds, CPT, feedings, play time, nap time, etc., he also deals with my emotions, ups & downs & general girliness (think I just created a new word...). Technically, I've been working for about over a month now... although I can still count on my fingers how many days I've worked & they're often short shifts. My first day back was filled with fun seeing the friendly familiar faces of my coworkers (who I love dearly), nervousness getting used to computer charting for the first time since my preceptorship at Madigan years ago, & the shock & awe of seeing how tiny our patients in the NICU really are (through the eyes of the mother of an 18lb 3oz baby!). It was my second day that I melted down a bit & my friend Susan (there are many special Susan's in my life!) was there to console me & give me the pep talk I needed to hear at that moment. Although the income is very helpful, the main reason I'm back to work is for the benefits provided by the hospital. I was shocked last week yet again at the cost of healthcare... Lucy's Synagis shots which I fought so hard for her to receive (protect her against RSV)... are known to be expensive & I expected about $2K per shot... boy was I wrong... because she's 18lbs, hers are $8,500 per shot - per month!! They are covered at 90% which makes our copay $850 per month... yikes. Needless to say, I keep things like that in mind while working now & I'm thankful that we're able to have the insurance coverage that we do. Many thanks to all of my coworkers who have been so supportive each day I'm at the hospital & even the days I'm not there - communicating endlessly on Facebook & the blog. Love you all!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, on the top pictures I think it's hilarious, but a good idea, that you have the little stop sign to wash your hands on her stroller! It's amazing how people will touch babies.

Second, I agree that our coworkers are GREAT! I am one of the many that is SO glad you're back but I do know how difficult it is to BE back. Heather Gibson was my lifesaver on my first weekend back too. EVERYONE is great, though.

And I'm glad you finally updated! I know sometimes it's hard to find time! (As I look at MY sweet boy :o) )

Susan said...

I'm there for you babe!